Wednesday, April 24, 2013

"Sometimes He Just Says No"



I love this little girl.
This is Addie, my sister's only daughter.
She is 5.
She's beautiful and spunky.
She's smart and polite.
She makes me happier than most.
I've known all of this...
What I didn't know?
She is wise.

A few months ago I was chatting with her over the phone. She can talk like nobody's business. She was "tending" her new brother Nate while her mommy was making dinner.

Addie: "The next baby will be a sister."
Me: "Oh yeah? That'll be fun."
Addie: "Yep! Jilly, how come you and 'Alno' don't have a baby?"
Me: "Well it's hard for me to have a baby Addie. Maybe you could pray for me and ask Heavenly Father to bless me with a baby like baby Nate. Could you do that for me?
Addie: (heavy and dramatic sigh) "Well I have Jilly! I keep askeen and askeen! Sometimes Heavenly Father just says, 'no...'"


About this time I hear my sister frantic in the background telling Addie, "Don't say that!" I couldn't help but laugh and love that little girl even more. Before the conversation was over, Addie consented to continue her prayers for me...whether it was forced by her mother or not.

I know what she said to me that day is true; sometimes Heavenly Father does say no. It was simple to her. So why is it so hard for me sometimes?

(written 8/9/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment